Soil erosion is the primary force that levels mountains, but now geologists have found that Oahu’s mountains are dissolving from within due to groundwater.
Forecasting the island’s future also needs to account for plate tectonics. As Oahu is pushed northwest, the island actually rises in elevation at a slow but steady rate.
According to the researchers’ estimates,Oahu will continue to grow for as long as 1.5 million years. Beyond that, the force of groundwater will eventually triumph and the island will begin its descent to a low-lying topography.
- Hawaiian Islands Are Dissolving from Within (zen-haven.com)
- Study: Hawaiian island slowly dissolving (upi.com)
- Hawaiian Islands ‘dissolving from within’ – Zee News (zeenews.india.com)
- Hawaiian Mountains Will Eventually Be Flat (businessinsider.com)
- Hawaiian Islands Being Dissolved From Within By Groundwater, Research Finds (planetsave.com)
- The mountains on Oahu in the Hawaiian Islands are dissolving from within under the slow but inexorable onslaught of groundwater, researchers say. (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Hawaiian Islands may vanish from world map, say geologists – Hindu Business Line (thehindubusinessline.com)