- Following James Marshall’s discovery of gold at Sutter’s Mill in Coloma in 1848, California’s population leaped from 14,000 to 250,000 in only four years. Between 1850 and 1859, miners extracted 28,280,711 fine ounces of gold.
- California has the largest economy in the United States and, in 1997, was the first state to reach the trillion-dollar benchmark in gross state product. In 2012, California was ranked the ninth largest economy in the world.
- California grows more than 3.3 million tons of winegrapes on over 540,000 acres each year and produces roughly 90 percent of all S. wine.
- The highest and lowest points in the continental United States are located within 100 miles of one another in California: Mount Whitney measures 14,505 feet and Badwater Basin in Death Valley is 282 feet below sea level.
- Considered to be the hottest, driest place in the United States, Death Valley often reaches temperatures greater than 120 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer and averages only around two inches of rain each year.
- With a trunk slightly greater than 102 feet in circumference, the General Sherman in Sequoia National Park is the largest living tree (by volume) in the world. It is estimated to be somewhere between 1,800 to 2,700 years old.
- Southern California has about 10,000 earthquakes each year, although only 15 to 20 of them have a magnitude greater than 4.0.
- Despite its urbanization and the loss of land to industry, California still leads the country in agricultural production. About one-half of the state’s land is federally owned. National parks located throughout the state are devoted to the preservation of nature and natural resources.
My You Tube Channel
Visitors on The Site
Fill This Form to Contact Me
Total Visitors Till Now
Top Posts & Pages
- भारत के पर्वत व पर्वत श्रेणियाँ
- Discontinuities Inside the Earth
- Characteristics of Rural Settlements
- Why Indus Valley Civilization Declined?
- Social Geography: Concept,Origin,Nature and Scope
- Planning Regions of India: Concept,Classification and Delineation
- Rural-Urban Continuum: The Concept
- Pros and Cons of Urbanization
- भारत के भौतिक विभाग
- Social Geography
- Article Submission
- Basics of Geography (Open Elective)
- Disaster Management
- Geography Notes
- Geography of Tourism
- Geography Study Material for NTA-NET & IAS Exams
- Geomorphology Class Black Board
- Hindi Posts
- Human Geography
- My Projects
- Online Class
- Physical Geography
- Posts on Geography Practicals and Statistical Techniques
- Regional Studies
- Settlement Geography
- Social Geography
- UGC NET Geography Syllabus
- Urban Systems
- Useful Links
- Water Resources
- About Me and This Site